25 March 2009

Foraging/enrichment idea

So my latest project in keeping my psittacine birds busy is to drill holes in everything.

Recently, I replaced all of their perches with natural branches, of all sizes and shapes and with lots of loose bark for chewing/ripping/shredding fun. I drilled holes all through these, some going partway though and some all the way. The holes are of varying sizes. Through these holes, I weave seeding grasses or veggies, or shove in seeds, bread, pellets etc. I can also pass a short (blunted) wooden skewer through some points (pointing in directions where I think there is little chance of them hurting themselves), then stick on some fruit, veggies and goodies wrapped in paper for them to chew through. They have to work to get their food, which is presented to them in a different way every day, so it gives them a bit of daily enrichment.


I have done the same with their new play equipment, which consists of a branch mounted vertically and with holes everywhere. Ozzie spends hours digging food out of his tree - just like a wild parrot.



When the perches are destroyed from the chewing and digging to get the food, I chuck them out, go for a walk, and find new branches to do it all again. Ten minutes of sawing and drilling, and the birds are more entertained and busy. Simple.



1 comment:

  1. Great idea, looks like Ozzie is really enjoying himself!

    ReplyDelete